Wednesday 8 June 2011

SlutWalk=good, Fatalistic Feminist Furies=bad?

And not even all of them are actually female.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23957826-march-of-the-new-feminists.do

Check out the comments at the bottom, Pete from London's is hilarious.

I get SlutWalk. I think the people marching and trying to "reclaim" the word "slut" is a great piece of subversion, in the same way that the black community took an offensive term used against them and made it offensive for anyone BUT them to use it (I'm talking about the N-word, people).

What I don't get, is four of the five "activists" featured in this article. Angry at women being sexualised by the media? Really? You mean the same women who not only make shitloads of money off it, become the idol of thousands of men across the world, but they actually like it (I know a couple, trust me, they love it).

So what are you really angry at, feminists? The evil man-dominated media machine or the empowered women who CHOOSE (key word here, folks) to do what the fuck they want with their lives?

And about aforementioned man-dominated media machine. Those trashy magazines and TV shows that are about women, are aimed at women, created by women, purchased and bought into by women...

Hmm. Well, I guess I'm still to blame because I'm a hetrosexual male. Damn me and my biological instincts. I guess there's no hope for me, huh?

Quote the writer "I wanted full-on, fighting feminism". To what end, you nutcase?! To vent a load of steam at phantom men who supposedly have done you wrong? No, wait, you're middle class and successful, you've never actually suffered any injustice in your life, you're hijacking a dead horse and trying to ride it for your own personal gratification.

There is nothing in this article, indeed, nothing about "modern feminism" at all, that highlights what feminism or feminists are actually doing for people, what need they have to fulfill, or to what purpose they are protesting against the new Playboy club opening in London soon.

Let sad old men pay for the company of glamorously dressed girls. Watch those girls walk away after a nights shift with a fuckload of cash in their pockets and a big grin on their face.

I don't have a clue what feminism is actually doing for todays modern woman. It seems they're creating more problems than solving any.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, feminism has changed over they years, though I think that's just a sign of the times. Earlier, women were resigned to the kitchen and were not being treated as equals in either the workplace or in many social settings. Now it seems to have turned to the sexual exploitation of women. It's another worthy cause, though I can't say I'm in agreement with how some pursue it.

    When you said you don't mind 'glamorously' (trashily?) dressed girls dance in front of old men for money, I have mixed feelings. If the girl is confident in who she is both sexually and emotionally, I'm not going to make a big fuss. However, if the girl is emotionally messed up and feels the only way she carries value in society is through her body, I've got a BIG problem with that. The explosion of sex in the media has had a damaging effect to many girls. I also think it's such a slow process that has become so totally ingrained into society that we don't really realize how powerful it has become. Women also have different ideas on how to combat it. Can’t say they're all good ones.

    ReplyDelete